If you’re wondering how many watts does a lamp use, then you’re not alone. And, chances are you’re not entirely sure how much wattage you should use at all. Nowadays, one can hardly turn on a light without seeing a tiny little bulb lighting up.
So, in this article, we’ll explain everything you need to know about how much energy different lamps use. Let’s find out what are we actually talking about when we’re talking about the wattage of a lamp.
How many watts does a lamp use?
In order to get an answer to the question of how many watts does a lamp use, we must first establish that there are different types of lamps that have different characteristics. We use different lamps for different purposes, so of course, you should use the one that suits your needs specifically.
Down below we will list the different types of lamps, explain what they are used for, and how many watts each type uses:
● LED lamps – Given that LED lamps are the most used and most sought after today, it’s no wonder they were the first to be on this list. They are used basically everywhere; in houses and other indoor spaces, outdoors, and for emergency situations. They use 80 to 200 watts.
● Compact fluorescent lamps – Also very popular lamps that are most often used in households and offices and use 60 to 80 watts.
● Fluorescent lamps – These lamps are ideal for illuminating smaller interior rooms and their bulbs use 50 to 70 watts
● Incandescent lamps – Another type of lamp perfect for households and decorative purposes. These lamps use only 8 to 20 watts.
● High-pressure sodium vapor lamps – Ideal for illuminating streets and they use 100 to 150 watts.
● Low-Pressure Sodium Vapor Lamps – They are also used on the streets, but these lamps are better adapted to fog. They use 150 to 200 watts.
● Metal halide lamps – They are perfect for illuminating large spaces such as schools, big offices, factories, arenas, and similar. They use 75 to 100 watts.
● Mercury vapor lamps – Ideal for lighting outdoor complexes. They use uses 35 to 65 watts.
● Tungsten halogen lamps – Used in theatres, cinemas, and other arena-like indoor places. They use 20 to 50 watts.
Related article: Light Bulb Wattage Guide: How Many Do You Need?
How many watts is a standard lamp?
The wattage varies from type to type of lamp, but we can say that some kind of standard lamp most often used in household rooms uses from 60 to a maximum of 75 watts.
That would be a classic example of a lamp that you probably already own by yourself at the moment. But there are also plenty of other types of lamps that use more or less power which we talked about above.
Do lamps use a lot of electricity?
Generally speaking, no, lamps don’t use a lot of electricity, comparing them with other electrical devices. In fact – lighting accounts for about 9% of your home’s energy.
However, if you want to consume as little energy as possible, switch to LED lamps. They’re more efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs.
LED bulbs cost less to operate and last longer, too. The environmental impact is smaller than traditional lighting, and since they’re long-lasting, they save energy, which means they save money. The energy efficiency of lighting systems can have a significant impact on the energy usage within a building.
LED lamps are significantly more energy efficient than traditional bulbs because they produce light without using much energy.
Related article: 10 Amazing Lighting Tips and Tricks Everyone Should Know
Now that we figured out how many watts does a lamp use, we also realized that there is no universal answer for this. The wattage depends on what kind of lamp you actually need. For example, if it is your room, you will definitely use a different lamp than the one you use for your outdoors, and sometimes it will even vary from room to room.
We hope that buying a lamp will now be easier for you because you will know exactly how many watts you need!